Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Tile installation questions (pictures included)

On Jul 25, 5:27 am, wrote:
I would like install textured ceramic tile on my balcony.

Pictures:http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z198/mikeuclaengr1/

I have a few questions:

1) Do you think I should use a backer board?

2) How do I deal with the cracks? (pictures "balcony10" and balcony11"
show this)

3) My planned procedure so far after watching a number of youtube
videos and reading some websites is:

-prepar mortar, then ad it in small grid region using a carpenters
framing square

-place tile on mortar, press firmly, ad spacers, use a straightedge

-Do this process again until I capture all of the balcony, if I reach
a point where I have to cut the tile, then mark that point with a
pencil, then cut the tile, then put the new correct size.

-Let sit for 24 hrs.

-Prepar grout, apply grout, wipe off with sponge, Let sit

-Apply sealer 3 times, wait at least 30 min. In between each

You don't learn how to do construction by watching YouTube videos. If
you want to learn how to set tile properly, visit your library and get
Setting Tile by Michael Byrne. It's a great book and you'll learn
more than the rough overview and misinformation you've picked up so
far.

Regarding your balcony: don't tile it. I mean you personally
shouldn't tile it, and it shouldn't be tiled. Anyone can slap tile on
a slab and have it look good for a while, but the balcony has
issues.

The broken concrete around the railing posts indicates that the posts
are moving and were therefore set poorly. They may not extend deep
enough into the slab, or they may have used too much water in the
setting concrete/mortar. That needs to be addressed or any tile you
put on top of it will either pop off or break.

The bottom of the patio door track is perfectly flush with the slab.
Those holes in the front of the track are weep holes and they are
intended to let water drain out onto the balcony and not pool inside
the track. If you raise the balcony level with tile - figure 3/8" to
1/2" - you'll block those holes and water will sit in the track.

You should look into using an epoxy coating on the concrete like that
used on garage floors. That will raise the balcony surface by 1/4" or
less and that may squeak by the bottom of the weep holes. You can use
3M Fineline tape to mark out a grid and remove that while the epoxy is
still wet. That will simulate the tile grid.