Posted to alt.home.repair
frank megaweege frank megaweege is offline

Default Tile installation questions (pictures included)

On Jul 25, 5:27 am, wrote:
I would like install textured ceramic tile on my balcony.

Pictures:http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z198/mikeuclaengr1/

I have a few questions:

1) Do you think I should use a backer board?

2) How do I deal with the cracks? (pictures "balcony10" and balcony11"
show this)

3) My planned procedure so far after watching a number of youtube
videos and reading some websites is:

-prepar mortar, then ad it in small grid region using a carpenters
framing square

-place tile on mortar, press firmly, ad spacers, use a straightedge

-Do this process again until I capture all of the balcony, if I reach
a point where I have to cut the tile, then mark that point with a
pencil, then cut the tile, then put the new correct size.

-Let sit for 24 hrs.

-Prepar grout, apply grout, wipe off with sponge, Let sit

-Apply sealer 3 times, wait at least 30 min. In between each

Thanks

Don't worry about 1 or 2 as long as you have a level surface.
You should have the entire layout planned before you mix any mortar.
Lay it out with spacers and plan all cuts first.
I agree with the other poster that laying mortar in grids is
unnecessary. I've never heard of that procedure.