Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Jan Panteltje Jan Panteltje is offline

Default So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

On a sunny day (Wed, 25 Jul 2007 08:33:12 -0700) it happened mpm
wrote in
.com:

On Jul 25, 3:42?am, "N Cook" wrote:

Follow the derogations/exemptions.
Military , aerospace & medical do have derogation from WEEE and RoSH, but
can anyone nail down precisely why they are exempted.

I suspect it is because these fields are considered "life-safety"
fields.
Even ordinance, when you think of it in terms of friendly fire
incidents.
They probably just don't want to recertify their processes, or don't
have the time to do it right.

But the "Truth"?
That's much more elusive.
Does RoHS result in a better environment? I don't know, but I doubt
it.
The sheer number of TV sets that will be obsoleted in the coming years
due to the migration to Digital Television will probably swamp the
RoHS "gains" by orders of magnitude.

Right, I turned in a portable TV last week.
This one was about 30 years old (seventies), and was still working OK,
but no analog transmissions here anymore, all you get is nice equal
distributed noise when tuning in to a digital station.