Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default installing combi central heating system - diy

Mike wrote:

1) Is this a realistic project for a DIYer or am I biting off more
than I can chew!

It is certainly doable if you don't mind doing some reading and
practising some of the basic skills. You would probably need to budget a
few hundred for tools as well if you are starting from scratch.

2) From a 'developers' point of view (as we hope to trade up quite
quickly) is it even worth replacing the system. The existing system
does work and the house is only a modest 2 bed terrace worth about 85k
when finished. Is the work likely to add more value than it costs?

Probably - it won't detract from the value, and it will remove one
objection that potential buyers may have. If you think the gas fire etc
is hideous, then there is a fair chance they might as well. Seeing a
new(ish) system in place gives some confidence (possibly misplaced) that
there one less thing to worry about for a few years.

3) I need to clarify what I can do myself by law. I was thinking I
would get a CORGI pro in to do all the gas fitting. Am I right in
thinking I'm ok to run any new non-gas pipe work and install / replace
new radiators my self plus physically fitting the boiler without
making the gas connections?

You can in law do all of it yourself including the gas fitting if you
are "competent" (there is no definition in the law as to what this
means). You would have plenty to read up on as well as needing to be
confident in your ability to reliably make pipe joints every time. The
requirement for CORGI registration only kicks in when trading as a gas
fitter.

4) I have had a couple of people in already to quote but they can't
seem to agree on what needs doing - in particular if existing pipe
work to radiators is up to the job or needs replacing. Its standard
15mm copper and looks ok to my untrained eye (apart from a couple of
leeks round radiator valves which I intend to replace anyway) People
trying to make work for themselves? Could do with some guidance on
this.

Much will depend on the the quantity of sludge in the system. However
much of this can be flushed yourself - especially if you convert it to a
sealed system.

5) Is there anything I can do myself regarding replacing the old gas
fire and removing the back boiler to keep costs down?

Even if you were not confident with the gas side, you could have that
professionally cut off and capped and then do all the decommissioning
yourself. You would obviously need to think through the logistics of
keeping enough heating and hot water system working.

6) New gas pipe work will be required as any new boiler will be in a
different location and we want to install a gas cooker. Again, any
sort of preparation work I can do here to keep costs down?

As a minimum you could agree a pipe run with your fitter and then make
sure all the holes are drilled etc to ease his job. You could go a stage
further and run the pipework, leaving it disconnected at either end.

Much of this presupposes that you can find a CORGI that is prepared to
work like this. Give it is currently a sellers market you may find that
difficult, since this sort of thing puts the pro in a slightly difficult
position regarding product liability etc.

7) We currently have an electric shower which has seen better days.
Any thoughts on if it is best to replace this like for like or
incorporate the new shower so that the new boiler supplies the hot
water to it?

Even the smallest combi will give a far better shower than the best
electric. Having said that, it would be wise to keep the electric until
after the boiler change is complete. That way you can rip out the ho
water system and you still have a way of washing.

8) What order to do things in? Better to have pro in first and then do
new radiators, pipe work etc or best to do all the diy stuff first and
then get pro in to finish off and get gas connections done?

Both probably - you need to agree what you are going to do in advance
with your fitter.

9) Better to buy boiler myself or will Corgi guy get it cheaper?

The latter if it is not you fitting it. Again product liability, and the
ability for the fitter to profit from the sale of the boiler. Chances
are he will be able to get it for less than you can, but would then sell
it on at a price comparable to what you could achieve. So to you it
makes little difference except you have one clearly identifiable person
to blame if it goes wrong.

10) Any website or book recommendations to help with this project?

Loads... But here is a good starting point - there are links in there to
find out everything else you need like Ed's boiler choice FAQ or gas
fitting one.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...entral_Heating

All of the above assumes the new system will be a fairly basic Combi
system with water tanks being removed to make room for the new boiler.
I know there are a lot of opinions out there as to the pros and cons
to this type of system, but as far as I can tell it's the only real
option for someone on a very (very!) tight budget ..... unless someone
knows different.

Read the above to get a feel for the options and complexity.

Thanks to anyone who took the time to plough through that lot! I'm
sure its pretty boring old ground to the more experienced readers but
I don't want to be caught out by new regs reading old threads. Any
help will be Massively appreciated!

Tis what we have the FAQs for etc. so help yourself.

--
Cheers,

John.