Posted to alt.home.repair
jJim McLaughlin jJim McLaughlin is offline

Default Garage Electrical Install Questions

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"jJim McLaughlin" wrote in message
. ..

All your questions are answered in your local codes and the NEC.

Quick personall observation: You are being cheap and not thinking ahead.
You don't have enough circuits.

Romex is cheaper than labor. You don't want to do tis twice, going
back late to add additional circits.

Lumber is cheaper than labor. Don't skimp on 2 x 4s by trying to go
with 2 x 2s.

If ou us conduit, yu are going to wind up pulling wire. Thats a lot of
work. Rethink conduit.

IMHO, you need at least 3, probably 4, 20 amp circuits.

Bear in mind, you can only have 7 items per circuit.
This is a garage. Garages have a tendency to naturally evolve
into workshops. Workships with table saws, drill presses and
probably compressors. Garages also frequently sprout freezers.

Were it me (and it was about 25 years ago), I' have one circuit for
overhead lighting; a separate circuit for the 3 exterior lights and
exterior, GFCI
weather proof sockets (one in front, one on the side and 1 in back -
you'll never have enough outside plug ins for yard tools ), and at least
one and probably two for wall plugs every 6 feet around the interior
perimeter of the garage. I'd run the two garage door openers off the
overhead light circuit.

Yeah, so when your garage door opener blows the circuit, you'll have no
lights.

That's really planning ahead!

Really?

How often do garage door openers blow a circuit?

But if one does blow, you use a drop light from the wall outlets and to
do a repar
or a disconnect from the ighting circui, and you actualy have power from
the wall
outets to run tools that might be necessay to do a repair.

You put the openers on the lighing circuit because they are low current
draws with
only intermuittant use, unlike the freezer, the bench tools, the full
size tools, etc.,
which eventually end up in the garage.

It is planning ahead.

But you are such an antagonistic, obnoxious jerk, that never ocurred to
you, did it.