Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tbasc@bellsouth.net is offline

Default Foundation bolts

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
I'm replacing foundation plates and rim joists on the house. The dry rot is
so bad that I can use my bench brush to sweep out the lumber.

I need to replace about 40 lineal feet. I'm jacking up the house (about an
inch) from the outside (siding already removed), pulling out the rotten
material and replacing it with pressure treated 2x6 lumber. I cannot
install foundation bolts on the plates, nor were there any in the first
place.

Seems like my only choice would be to get some earthquake straps, drill and
bolt the straps vertically to connect the foundation and one of the studs.
Repeat every 4 feet.

BTW, this is not high earthquake country.

Anybody have a better idea.

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary

Simpson Strong Tie web site, among others, has what Chris suggests.