Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

N Cook wrote:

The next time I get a year or 2 year old 800 GBP/1500 USD combo in for
repair with loose simple, thermally un-stressed,but vibrationally stressed
components, I will actually measure the extraction force of the obviously
suspect ones and some of the remaining ones, with a spring balance and a
hook of wire. I would never have expected otherwise well-soldered (but
obviously lead-free solder) very basic "components" like soldered wire
links,1/3W resistors,TO92 transistors, to have solder failures after
decades, let alone a couple of years.

I agree. I imagine you've seen a number of these then ? Do you tell your
customers about the lead-free thing and its consequences ?

Graham