Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

Spurious Response wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Personally, I can think of no good reason to attempt to 'recycle' old printed
circuit boards. For example it appears to be both uneconomic and likely energy
wasteful too.

If one (read a business) had an incinerator for refuse, which is common
in the US, one could very easily have enough heat energy "left over" to
reflow, and "Smack and Gather" soldered assemblies after they reach
reflow temperatures.

It would not take long to gather a ton of "solder".

A ton is a ton is a ton, and gathering several grams from each assembly
one has for salvage makes the planet more "green", because reprocessing
lead, and lead alloys is far easier and less costly than mining it.

Incinerators are now deprecated since the greenies say they make dioxins.

Actually, I'd expect a lot of solder to turn to oxides and go up the smoke stack if
subjected to high temps.

Graham