Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

Spurious Response wrote:

"Leeper" wrote:

t is really application and chip package specific,

Bull****. Lead based solder alloys are superior in damn near all
electronic realms, and there is no configuration where they would not be
other than high end commercial and military applications, and they
certainly do not include Tin.

Whilst I don't disagree with you, where's the hard comparative data ?

RoHS is a Euro-ploy to boost the Euro-dollar, and there is no health
problem surrounding lead alloyed solders.

I only wish it was just the EU.

It is all bull****, and it was all bull**** when it was started.

We already had regulations in place for such matters for DECADES.

FYI, the idea(l) behind RoHS is to encourage recycling by removing elements that
would be troublesome otherwise.

Personally, I can think of no good reason to attempt to 'recycle' old printed
circuit boards. For example it appears to be both uneconomic and likely energy
wasteful too.

Graham