Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default Who knows about routing out a sign?

In article ,
Milt wrote:

I am interested in makeing some outdoor signs using my router. I
have cut out the letters and words on some finished redwood - but my
question is how do I color - or paint the routed out area like in black,
then have an unfinished surface so the writing stands out?

i have tried spraying it then sanding the surface, but the paint soks in
so much and the redwood is soft enough so that sandng the surface al but
takes out the routed letters.

I use redwood because it is good for outdoors, and is soft enough as to
easily route freehand - which is what I did.

Does anyone know the best method for this?

Someone suggested covering the face of the board with "blue tape" like for
painting - then routhing thru the tape,. spraying after the routing, then
removing the tape. I have not tried this yet.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

THANKS!
Milt

Spray the surface first with a clear sealer, then paint, then sand off
the paint (and sealer, if desired) on the flat surface.

If planning ahead rather than fixing later, seal the flat part before
routing the sign out. Wax may also work in this case, as you are not
trying to have paint stick to the surface.

Or, practice a bit with a small paintbrush, and just paint the inside of
the letters.