Posted to alt.home.repair
Clark[_3_] Clark[_3_] is offline

Default Splitting ledge

"yourname" wrote in message
news:gAopi.4429$Gs4.1157@trndny05...
wondering if there any knowledge hearabouts regarding splitting granite
ledge. I have a spot I would like to put a hallway to a future spare room.
about 4-6 feet long it is only about 6 foot high. Ledge is solid dropping
right to left, but nearly level in this spot. I have a mid size Bosch
rotary hammer and am not averse to renting a bigger one if I need to. I am
not in a great big hurry, and since it is under the house, blasting is not
what I am going to do. Anyone done much of this? Any hints?

My neighbor is in sort of the same situation, but he's putting in a
driveway.
I can tell you what he's doing (he's a contractor)

He's using a gas powered mason circular saw
and then he is using a jackhammer
I think he is cutting grooves then jack hammering between them
the pile of ruble looks like mid size flat pieces

Clark