Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Per von Zweigbergk Per von Zweigbergk is offline

Default Need help to identify failed component in rice cooker

On 2007-07-24 19:23:02 +0200, (Michael Black) said:

Per von Zweigbergk ) writes:

The component was connected in series with one of the AC power inputs,
and measuring over the poles gives me 0 Ohm of resistance.

You need to get the terminology right.

"0 ohms" is a short. SOmething in that location with two terminals and
shorted is unlikely to affect operation. If it's really zero ohms, then
it will pass the current and everything will be fine.

Yup. The component presents 0 ohms, a short, whatever. It'd pass
current if the ring terminal were still intact. However, the actual
component is physically damaged, which is why I want to replace it.

I probably could make the cooker functional (though probably not very
safe) by shorting over where that component used to be with moderately
thick wire. I haven't tried this yet though, and I don't want to try it
before I've identified the failed component.