Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default OT and long, 2007 Tundra First tank of gas on the 5.7

"Dave in Houston" wrote in message

Be careful you don't break that egg between your foot and the gas
pedal. :~)

Nyuck, nyuck.

One might can squeeze an additional mpg out of that new truck by going
with synthetic lubricants though I do recommend a thorough break-in with
conventional mineral oil. I did two each 4,000 mile stints when my '01
PowerStroke was new; 4,000 with the factory oil and 4,000 with Castrol (or
somesuch). At 8,000 I moved it to Amsoil 15w40 HD Diesel/Marine. I put
about 30k a year on it, the biggest majority being highway miles between
Houston and the San Antonio area. Most always getting 16.5 - 16.75 mpg.
Me thinks the switch was too soon. Suddenly, around 160k my fuel mileage
jumped a whole mpg. Me thinks I may actually have retarded break-in and
that the engine has just now loosened up. I'm pushing 164k now.
Whatever, I'm not complaining.
And, I have an eight foot bed behind a four-door crew cab. Gawd it's a
long truck.
--
NuWave Dave in Houston

I am considering using a snthetic for the first time in this truck. The new
vehicle engines use such light viscosity oils these days I want maximum
protection against oil break down. I really do not drive this vehicle too
much and oil changes are usually 1 to 2 times a year at 3,000 mile
intervals. I wonder how a synthetic would do compaired to regular oil in
holding up for 6 months at a time with few miles.