Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default OT and long, 2007 Tundra

That's all find an dandy if you like spending the time doing that.
I dealt with other peoples problem vehicles for 20+ years. I've been there
and done that. ;~)

"J T" wrote in message
Thu, Jul 19, 2007, 4:44pm (EDT+4) (Leon)
doth sayeth:
I did not see the thread at all until
Swingman brought it to my attention. Using Google I saw parts of it but
not all of it.
Yeah, I bought one of those too.snip

I'm like the guy that said he rather own ten $3,000 vehicles than
one for $30,000.

Last year my '79 GMC pickup developed problems. I didn't feel like
putting a few hundred dolars into it, so sold it. And shopped around.

Wound up with a 1978 Chevy El Camino. Someone had yanked the 350
and put in a 307 instead - rebuilt, Vortech heads, Crane cam, aluminum
intake, Edelbck carb, true dual exhaust. Front end rebuiltl, Sony
CD/radio, two speakers, stupid IROC looking wheels. And new: Radiator,
water pump, belts, tires, shocks, air conditioning compressor, and so
on. But the clock didn't work and the front passenger fender is a bit
wrinkled, and it needed a repaint. So I got it for $1400, that's
fourteen hundred dollars. Had to drop about $250 for a new master
cylinder and tie rod end. Since then the radio quit working a few weeks
ago, but the CD still works. Just sunk another $359 for a cracked
flexplate and some other work. Except for gas and oil, that's it. It's
not the fastest in the world, but it sound absolutely beautiful, has a
nice lumpy idle, and kids like it. It's got a trailer hitch for if I
want to haul something larger than the bed. I've had it for about a
year and a half, and could probably triple my money on it. Bet you guys
can't sell your trucks in a year and a half and triple your cost.
Hehehe

Oh yeah, it got goood gas mileage when I first got it, then it
gradually dropped down to about 3 miles per gallon. Then noticed the
speedometer worked but theodomoter had stopped working. LOL

Them new trucks are just plain ugly. If I wanted another big
pickup, I'd find one I liked, an old one, for real cheap. Then I'd get
a crate engine, and crate transmission, dropped in it, and get the
brakes completely redone with new parts. Should be able to get all that
done for less than $5,000 over the cost of the truck, depending on who
you buy from, and who you get to do the work. I don't know about where
you guys live, but you look around a bit here and you can often get an
older truck, sometimes with body work done, interior, and paint, usually
needing engine and/or transmission work, for $15,00 or less, sometimes
even as low as $2-300.

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso