Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Talk Talk ?

Weatherlawyer wrote:

Since they supply a free firewall from McAfee there isn't a problem.

I would not want to rely on a software firewall running on the end users
PC as the only means of defence.

I have always found their help excellent. I couldn't get online with
BT until I was paying for two services. Even then they only deferred
repayment over a period of time that I had a landline with them.

Not sure that comparing with BT tells you much

I can't say anything more than that as I don't have the lamer problems
I used to these days and wish to try Linux -which as far as I know,
AOL still doesn't support. But how many ISPs do?

Demon, PlusNet, Nildram, A&A to name a few. In reality pretty much any
ISP will enable use of other OSs via a router, but you may still find a
few that require Windows / IE or use of their bespoke CD for account setup.

TalkTalk excelled themselves in retarded circular logic in this respect:

"Sorry we can't help you if you are using a router. Please install the
supplied modem and ring us back. "

Few hours of waiting on the phone later, customer says "can't install
the modem, are you sure it work with Mac OSX 10.4", TT; "Let us check
again, oh, no apparently not with that version, the drivers are not
compatible - have you got a router?"

You can guess the rest.

(BT line fault which they never resolved in 4 months of being told there
was no ADSL signal present on the line)

--
Cheers,

John.