Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default AFCI is buzzing?

Scott Townsend wrote:
Yep, buzz/hums with nothing plugged in. I don't think it did when it was
first installed.

They are fricken expensive though...
http://www2.sea.siemens.com/Products...-Type-AFCI.htm

Retail for $273, though you can get them on the net For $120

Scott-
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
newsnepi.1560$rX4.565@pd7urf2no...

Scott Townsend wrote:

I have an AFCI breaker in my panel and it makes a buzzing sound. Turn it
off and it does not buzz. I hold the breaker switch and it seems to be
better, but not gone. This is my first AFCI breaker, is this normal?

Not much plugged into it. We are still under construction, so nothing in
the house yet. Sometimes I have a ChopSaw connected to it. Would having
the ChopSaw on an AFCI degrade the breaker any?

Thanks,
Scott-

Hi,
You are talking about GFCI? Saw is an inductive load. Buzzs without saw
plugged in?

Hi,
Ouch! I was not thinking. Only way to make sure is to try another one.
Those surge sensor inside the breaker is known for that.