Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default tile thickness - door scraping

wrote:
My garage entry door swings out onto a slab (which is an entry way I
wanted to dress up with tile to hile the concrete crack) There is
only the clearance about the height of aluminum threshold approx.
1/2" . Too bad when I installed the door I forgot about the tiles I
wanted to install.

I put a piece of tile to test and the sweeper of the door scrapes it a
bit but still operable (not considering the thinset yet) I think I
will have to remove the sweeper. It would be nice to have some kind
of sealing at the bottom of the door, but it's only a garage door.

Is there any way to gain the clearance or minimize the thickness of
tiles installation..? Can a masonary grinding wheel be used to remove
slight amount of material in the door swing area? The area is
covered so there is no standing water.

I do not want to re-hang the door or convert to in-swing door.
Maybe a concrete stain or patio paint with the appropiate patch to
seal the crack is a better solution?

Thanks in advance.

Thinking way outside the box, how about some nifty linoleum remnants?
They're very thin, come in 12' wide chunks sometimes, have subdued
patterns in the industrial grades and can be stuck down to concrete
very well. Look around...you may find somethng that will inspire your
wild and crazy creative nature. Good luck.

Joe