Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Frank is offline

Default New Toilet install - no shut off valve in supply line

HeyBub wrote:

Ah, maybe a simple wax ring replacement. Problem is, if you're determined to
have a new toilet, be prepared for sticker shock and possibly
non-satisfactory operation.

I had plumber replace 3 of my 30+ year old toilets. First I mentioned
was one I broke - it was the old toilet that plumber removed to fix
leak. I have plumbers do now what I used to do when younger because neck
problems etc have slowed me down. I've replaced shutoff valves, flush
mechanisms, rusted bolts and seal between tank and basin, etc. Something
always going wrong so when next toilet malfunctioned, got a new one.
Price for toilet and plumber less than $300. I did pay $400 for a nicer
Toto. In spite of what others say about new toilets over old, my new
ones flush better than the old ones. In addition there is the bonus of
much less water going to septic drain field.
Frank