Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default HDD 'died' cyclic redundancy error

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 03:02:40 +0100, Eeyore wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Meat Plow wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Meat Plow wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
martin griffith wrote:

try a linux cd-live boot disk

I did that a while back.

Neither Ubuntu or Xubuntu would work. I'm very unimpressed.

Doesn't surprise me especially if it was formatted in NTFS.

It wasn't. FAT32. Call me a 'stick in the mud' if you like but I
like stuff I
know works.

Well the linux kernel has no problems mounting FAT partitions. I use
my
FAT formatted SD camera card here in Kubuntu all the time. And I
prefer
NTFS over FAT any day

My reason for sticking with FAT was that I wanted W98 compatability.

Ah Win98, that's fair. Some like the simplicity of it. I use linux for
internet and XP for video/audio production.

I'm keen to explore Linux but my results to date haven't been very
promising. It seems
to me that the much-touted 'live' CDs require a fairly modern PC to run.
The trouble
is that they give no indication of whether or not the PC can support it
or not.

I will keep trying though. I have another 'box' in mind.

I run Kubuntu Edgy on an AMD Athalon 64 desktop and an Asus widescreen
laptop (Intel Centrino). Edgy installed with no intervention on my part
on the laptop. I had to manually switch the X window source on the AMD box
to support the embedded NVidia graphics hardware's acceleration. Funny
thing is that I had all kinds of trouble reinstalling XP on this AMD 64
because it's an E Machines made by Gateway and the proper chipset drivers
were buried deep on the web site of the motherboard manufacturer (MSI).

Hey Meat _ I never had you figured as a Mr Beardy with open toed sandals ...
!!

Arfa