Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
outofthewoods outofthewoods is offline

Default Help please sanding staircase - sanding disc grades?

Hi, from one girl to another, we turners call sand paper, grits, and
you start with the lower numbers, and work your way up through to the
higher number grits. The numbers tell you how many particles there are
per square centimetre. (I think that's right). So moving up to a larger
number of particles means you remove more of the scratches you made with the
last piece of grit, until the scratches are so many and so fine that is
feels just like a babies bum. Hope this help make sense of it. Just
lately had to do a lot of sanding down and this time used a random orbital
sander, of what bliss, my arms and wrists didn't need to spend the next
two days recovering.
Hotfoot.

"BillinDetroit" wrote in message
: wrote:
: Hi,
: I have started sanding my old staircase (just the handrail) by hand,
: being the stupid girl I am. I have now realised that my life would so
: much easier if I bought a Random Orbital Sander (gleamed from the many
: helpful posts in these groups.)
: I am thinking about a Bosch PEX (cheaper) or GEX (newer, more
: expensive) so any comments on these would be great.
: But my question is this: what grade of sanding discs do I need? The
: staircase is, I think, oak - the discs that seem to come with the
: Bosch are 120g, 80g, 60g - but which is needed for the actual sanding
: and which for the "polishing" action - I have no idea what any of this
: means.
: Thanks for any help you can give
:
:
:
: Are you removing existing finish? If so, start with some TSP cleaning
: solution to get the oily crud off and then follow with a chemical finish
: stripper ... possibly getting into tight spots with a toothbrush
: (someone elses' grin).
:
: Follow label directions (you'll want a paste-type) for clean up and / or
: neutralizing.
:
: Then 120 grit will be enough if the new finish is going to be paint, but
: you'll need to start there but go higher if you are applying stain and /
: or varnish.
:
: Bill
:
:
: --
: I'm not not at the above address.
:
http://nmwoodworks.com
:
:
: ---
: avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
: Virus Database (VPS): 000759-0, 07/23/2007
: Tested on: 7/23/2007 2:52:56 PM
: avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2007 ALWIL Software.
:
:
: