Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Frank is offline

Default New Toilet install - no shut off valve in supply line

wrote:
I've got a 67 year old toilet that is cracked and also has started
leaking a bit down onto the pipes in the basement. I've never put in
a new toilet, but from everything i read, it doesn't sound like brain
surgery. One obstacle that makes me want to get a pro to do it is
that the water supply line to my toilet goes straight into the wall.
It doesn't have a shut off value that I can easily get to. Has anyone
seen one like this? Will I just need to shut off the water to the
entire house before starting work on it?

It's not brain surgery but first and only time I tried to install a
toilet, I over torqued bolt and cracked and ruined toilet. Lots of
people I talked to afterwards have done this. You could probably have a
plumber install for about $300 which would include needed shut off valve
and toilet.
Frank