Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default How much for a pine tree?

On Jul 23, 11:06 am, "Art" wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Jul 22, 11:22 pm, Terry wrote:

My mother had a car hit a pine in the front yard and she said that the
insurance paid her for it.

My home owners insurance has a 1k deductible with replacement cost.
Lightning hit a very old very tall pine tree at the edge of my yard a
couple of days ago. The tree was split from at least half way up to
the ground. I am pretty sure it killed the tree and it will have to
be removed. I was wondering how much I could get for the tree and if
homeowners insurance should pay to have it taken down?

Read your policy. Lightning hitting a tree would probably be
considered an act of god.

Many acts of God are covered by policies. That is why you buy insurance.
On the other hand, damaged caused by wars..... acts of humans, may not be
covered.

- Please note the word I used - probably. The OP would need to check
his own policy to make sure.
- What's a tall tree "worth"?
- The OP hasn't been damaged - yet - the tree has.
- If he "wins" the battle with the insurance company, it's a "ding" on
his record and he'll pay for it eventually.
- Depending on the OP's location, the $1000 deductible could easily
exceed the cost of taking the tree down.
- Pine trees are one of the easier trees to take down.
- The OP made no mention of getting quotes. He has no idea what it
will cost and he's already talking about insurance claims.

The OP should come to terms with the fact that he'd be shooting
himself in the foot by making a claim.