Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bennett Price Bennett Price is offline

Default Crystal/Ceramic Conversion

In series? Don't you mean parallel?

b wrote:
On Jul 22, 9:24 pm, John Blake wrote:
on Sun, 22 Jul 2007 15:21:02 +0100, "Martin Crossley"

wrote:
John Blake wrote:
I have replaced the record player deck in an old radiogram, which had
a mono crystal cartridge, with a BSR deck with an SC12H ceramic
cartridge. I have used a simple resistive network to combine the two
channels but think I need an active interface as the sound is very
weak and there's a fair amount of hum.
Could anyone point me towards a web site or book or other source of a
suitable circuit please?
Have you tried simply connecting the channels in series without a network?
That's the usual way.
Martin(Stockport)

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

you probably need a BSR x5H cart which should give you about the same
output as the original and was a common replacement in the 70s when
those heavy crystal carts in old machines became incompatible when
stereo records appeared.

. But do try what martin suggests.

have you tried posting on Paul stenning's uk vintage repair and
restoration site forum? what the guys there don't know about these
matters ain't worth knowing! ;-)
-B