Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
BillinDetroit BillinDetroit is offline

Default Help please sanding staircase - sanding disc grades?

wrote:
Hi,
I have started sanding my old staircase (just the handrail) by hand,
being the stupid girl I am. I have now realised that my life would so
much easier if I bought a Random Orbital Sander (gleamed from the many
helpful posts in these groups.)
I am thinking about a Bosch PEX (cheaper) or GEX (newer, more
expensive) so any comments on these would be great.
But my question is this: what grade of sanding discs do I need? The
staircase is, I think, oak - the discs that seem to come with the
Bosch are 120g, 80g, 60g - but which is needed for the actual sanding
and which for the "polishing" action - I have no idea what any of this
means.
Thanks for any help you can give

Are you removing existing finish? If so, start with some TSP cleaning
solution to get the oily crud off and then follow with a chemical finish
stripper ... possibly getting into tight spots with a toothbrush
(someone elses' grin).

Follow label directions (you'll want a paste-type) for clean up and / or
neutralizing.

Then 120 grit will be enough if the new finish is going to be paint, but
you'll need to start there but go higher if you are applying stain and /
or varnish.

Bill

--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000759-0, 07/23/2007
Tested on: 7/23/2007 2:52:56 PM