Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] dreddypuss@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Help please sanding staircase - sanding disc grades?

Hi,
I have started sanding my old staircase (just the handrail) by hand,
being the stupid girl I am. I have now realised that my life would so
much easier if I bought a Random Orbital Sander (gleamed from the many
helpful posts in these groups.)
I am thinking about a Bosch PEX (cheaper) or GEX (newer, more
expensive) so any comments on these would be great.
But my question is this: what grade of sanding discs do I need? The
staircase is, I think, oak - the discs that seem to come with the
Bosch are 120g, 80g, 60g - but which is needed for the actual sanding
and which for the "polishing" action - I have no idea what any of this
means.
Thanks for any help you can give