Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron(UK) Ron(UK) is offline

Default Transporting speaker cabs face-down

N Cook wrote:

I've not literally been able to get my hands on this one yet - still with
the owner , he decided to aquirt the universal solve-all in there - WD40.

Well if it wasn't knackered before, it is now! Save the WD40 for rusty
gate hinges, it has no place at all in an electronics workshop.

(cue huge debate about the pro`s and cons of WD40)

If it is salvagable from WD40 etc and if the oproblem is due to damp
affecting the cone , is this being a 15 inch cone more likely to have cone
distortions than a 12 inch for the same sort of damp?

If it`s a speaker from a reputable pro manufacturer, get it reconed at
Wembley Loudspeaker, if not, just replace it with whatever the customer
will pay for.

Intuitively I could expect a large cone to be more likely to have a twisting
type distortion than a smaller cone, having a greater proportion of
unsupported edged length to surface area.

What part of a speaker do you consider to be 'unsupported edge length'?

Ron(UK)