Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom G Tom G is offline

Default How much for a pine tree?

"willshak" wrote in message
on 7/22/2007 11:22 PM Terry said the following:
My mother had a car hit a pine in the front yard and she said that the
insurance paid her for it.

My home owners insurance has a 1k deductible with replacement cost.
Lightning hit a very old very tall pine tree at the edge of my yard a
couple of days ago. The tree was split from at least half way up to
the ground. I am pretty sure it killed the tree and it will have to
be removed. I was wondering how much I could get for the tree and if
homeowners insurance should pay to have it taken down?

Homeowner's insurance usually only covers houses and out-buildings.
The auto insurance of the driver probably paid for your mother's tree.
A 50' wild cherry tree on my property fell into my neighbor's yard during
a hurricane, taking down a section of his split rail fence. My Ins.Co.
didn't pay for his damage or removal of my tree. I fixed the fence and had
to pay to cut up and remove the tree. They did give me $250 for food
spoilage because we had no power for 72 hours due to that hurricane.
Give your homeowners insurance and ask about your tree.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

You'd be a good neighbor to have. It's my understanding around here, (N.
IL.) that because it was an act of God and no negligence on your part (like
the tree was about to fall on its own and you had been given written
notification of such) that you would only have been responsible for the part
of the tree still on your property. The neighbor would have had to repair
his fence and pay to remove your tree from his yard. On another note, I had
a storm take a tree down on my garage once. Insurance paid to pull tree of
garage and repair to garage but once the tree was off the garage it was my
responsibility to have it removed from the ground.

Tom G.