Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

Default water heater pilot

"tom" wrote in message
nk.net...
The Streets wrote:
"rick" wrote in message
Our A.O.Smith water heater (installed Jan 1996) has recently
developed the following problem -- the pilot light goes out all the
time. Any ideas to keep the pilot lighted?

Is the heater old enough now where I should just get it replaced? It
is working great when the pilot is lighted.

Often this problem is caused by the thermocouple starting to fail.
Replacements are inexpensive and readily available at the big box
stores. And, easy to install. I'd try that first.

I put in a new water heater a couple weeks ago and was (pleasantly)
surprised to see the burner/ignition chamber completely sealed. This water
heater incorporated a piezo igniter similar to what's on gas grills that

was
visible through a glass (plastic?) window. I didn't look very close but I
don't remember there being any access to the burner chamber.

That's right, it's design to new codes.
Now they're safer and easier for someone to screw up.