Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Crimp-and-tape vs. wirenuts -- for hots?

"dpb" wrote in message ...
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"CJT" wrote in message
Your preference against it doesn't make it "wrong."

It most certainly does. With wiring, only perfection is acceptable.
Tape doesn't even come close.
"Perfection" is defined for practical purposes by the NEC. If it
accepts a practice, that's perfect enough...

I suspect it accepts the practice because wire nuts are faster to apply
than crimps, and professionals like it that way.

You can "suspect" it all you want, but the real reason is that while it is
indeed, reasonably fast and inexpensive, _LOTS_ of empirical data and lab
testing confirm it is quite reliable and safe so more complex methods are
totally unnecessary. The point of the code is, of course, to provide a
safe and effective set of requirements to the practical application. As
someone else already noted, the Code wasn't begun by government but by the
insurance in order to provide the benefits accruing to their members by
the adherence to such standards. Consequently, when Code is updated to
account for new technology, the prime consideration is that it meets these
objectives.

Probably all true. But, I'd like to know what types of people install the
wire nuts in testing situations. I've opened electrical boxes and found some
interesting horror shows. If they're installed by idiots, they are certainly
not safe.