Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Can't do simple freaking soldering on brass pipe

wrote:
I'm a total newbie at this stuff, but it shouldn't be this freaking
hard. All I'm trying to do is a simple repair on a 1" brass pipe. ...

Read this and several replies and your responses --

First question I have is "brass"??? You sure or you mean copper which
would be far more normal ordinary plumbing fittings.

After you get past that, what are you using for flux and solder?

And, finally, heat source? A 1" pipe takes a pretty decent-sized flame
to heat adequately quickly.

As for technique, heat the fittings, not the pipe and definitely not the
solder. Hot enough is when the solder melts on touch to the joint. If
it doesn't flow easily you've either got incompatible solder for the
material, flux, or both.

If you are new at this, I'd also suggest buying a couple feet of regular
1/2" Cu and a few fittings and practice on a few of them to get the hang
of it rather than continuing to practice on your end project.