Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Allodoxaphobia Allodoxaphobia is offline

Default Mains off warning

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 21:13:49 GMT, Arfa Daily wrote:
"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message
Allodoxaphobia wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 17:38:12 -0400, Not me ) wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 17:34:29 +0100, M.Joshi
wrote:
Does anyone know if there are any websites that have circuit diagrams
for a mains warning alarm that sounds when the mains is off?

We occasionally find that the circuit breaker trips for a circuit in
the kitchen and if left unnoticed, the food in the freezer could thaw
out.
I would be inclined to keep a nightlight on the cricuit.
I know you can buy specific freezer temp warning alarms at places like
Lee Valley.
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...120,33279&ap=1

Which would be good for when the power goes out *AND ALSO* when the
_freezer_ goes out.

And though it doesn't address the specific question, put a frozen
ice cube in a closed zipper bag in the freezer. Should the power
fail while you're out long enough to warm the freezer's contents and
then come back on, the ice cube will be a puddle of frozen water rather
than a cube.

That's a novel idea Ken, but I reckon that the freezer would have to be off
for longer than the average outage, here in the UK at least, for the ice
cube to melt. Most freezers will hold up for getting on for 24 hours I
believe, provided you don't disturb them by opening the door.

Well, that was his (unstated) intent: If the ice cube is still "sound",
then the freezer contents are probably sound. If you find you have a
frozen "puddle", then the freezer was off long enough to ruin the stored
contents.

Jonesy