Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Flashing for a dutch gutter

On Jul 21, 10:25 pm, wrote:
I have a dutch gutter system around the edge of the roof, In order to
fix some problems I have two roofers suggested that I have a metal cap
fabricated (an inverted U-shaped continuous cap that will go on top of
the fascia header and will have a drip edge on one side, the other
side will connect to the inside of the gutter and be "bulled" over (am
I spelling it right? "bull"?).

What the two roofers disagree on is how to attach the galvanized metal
cap to the fascia header. One suggested just drill roofing nails
every six inches from the top through the metal cap to the fascia.
The other said this is guarantee leak because the roofing screw holes
will be leaks every six inches in about six months. The original
roofer says this is not a problem as the roofing screws have a rubber
washer underneath that will seal it, the second roofer says the rubber
will break down under the Miami sun in no time, and should use screws
to fasten it from the sides, and then "bull" over it, I am wondering
if it's really possible to bull over screw heads won't it break the
rubber membrane easily?

There should be no visible fasteners of any sort. It should be
attached with concealed sheet metal cleats that interlock with the
hemmed edge of the cap.
http://www.copper.org/applications/a...rflashing.html

It's actually an easier way to do it and you won't have to worry about
leaking and/or visible fasteners.