Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default CPC ultrasonic cleaners

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 17:16:58 UTC, Mike Clarke
wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 12:44:03 UTC, "Newshound"
wrote:

Anyone tried one of the cheapies? Are they any good? (Can't justify a
proper lab-type one)

Yup.

Did a good job on my 5 pairs of glasses, on my wife's jewellery (and
she's fussy). Also on a couple of CDs.

Not bad for about 20 quid.

How well does it clean your glasses. No matter how thoroughly I clean my
specs by hand, even with cleaning fluid and a fresh clean cloth, I
invariably manage to end up with an almost microscopic oily residue on the
surface which gives a distracting "starburst filter" effect when I'm facing
the sun. I'd be tempted to get an ultrasonic cleaner if it could help
eliminate this.

I don't wear glasses much outdoors (if it's sunny, I wear sunglasses to
cut down on the risk of another tumour). I just tried, though, and don't
seem to get a starburst effect.

They recommend one drop of detergent for mucky things, so I guess that
would help with any residue. Or it might make it worse!

http://www.diybanter.com