Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Stuyck Jim Stuyck is offline

Default Cutting 8x8 PT Railroad Ties

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 15, 9:48 am, "DanG" wrote:
Boy, you guys sure have different experiences with railroad ties
than I do. They eat tools for breakfast and destroy men and
muscle by lunch. These things are full of rocks, sand, grit, and
creosote - none of which lend themselves to anything I want my
tools working on.

The best suggestion to date: Cheap blades in a circular saw,
finished off with a hand bowsaw. Don't plan on many cuts per
blade.
A carbide chainsaw blade at about $70 will give the most cuts, but
is only effective if you are paying for labor. You will destroy a
regular chain in a very few cuts.
A have tried a gasoline cut off saw with a fiber blade which can
take the abuse. Smokes a lot, but actually isn't bad. I've not
ever found what I would call a good solution.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

I have six pieces of pressure treated 8"x8" railroad ties (8'
long) that I need to cut into short, 8"-10" long sections. What
is the best way to go about it? I can't use my compound miter
saw with such a large cross section, and I am not sure I can get
a clean cut with a circular saw (not with my skill level). Any
suggestions?

Thanks,

MC- Hide quoted text -

These things are full of rocks, sand, grit, and
creosote - none of which lend themselves to anything I want my
tools working on.

And metal...did I say metal?

Any time you start cutting one of these you can expect to find
anything waiting for you...including railroad spikes buried within.

TMT

Many years ago (32 or so) I landscaped with used railroad ties,
loaded with grit, rocks, and such (no spikes). I bought an
electric chain saw with what was called a "baracuda" chain.
Probably spent $99 on the thing. It went thru a significant
number of ties, mostly cut to 3' lengths but with many short
pieces standing tall in the landscape with trunctated tops (45
degree cuts all around with a flat on the top).

ABSOLUTELY no problems! One technique I used was to
put the "rocky side" down so that debris might shake loose.
I didn't intentionally cut into stones, but from time to time
I'd hit one and it didn't damage the chain.

A rough estimate is that I made well over 80 cuts thru the
whole ties, plus untold number of "truncations," all with the
same chain.

Still have the same saw, though don't use it too often. About
five years ago I replaced the original chain.

Oh, and the saw is a Craftsman, bought from Sears.

Jim Stuyck