Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson Brian Lawson is offline

Default Knurling brass

Hey again Gerry,

Well, if you don't want the "adjustment nut" to point down, remove the
tool holder part and reverse it. I don't recall having the do that
with mine, but I do have the "nut" up where it is easy to get at.

(Note I also made a series of sleeves for the threaded rod that the
nut is on, so I can drop the different sizes in to accommodate the
size work to be knurled. That way, the "nut" is always at the "top"
and I don't have to run it up and down. (2nd Note the "tool-holder"
part on the KBC models are cranked so it can be sued on different size
lathes. Check for best use on yours.

6 &12 o'clock is good, but position is more dependant on the situation
and tool-post height. Just be sure the knurls are "opposite" one
another on the work-piece, or you will have a problem.

And yes, it will travel OK. Hints and tips from RichD and Harold V.
tell it too.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 15:40:10 -0700, Gerry wrote:

Yep, that's the tool I have. I have yet to learn the proper way to set
up and use it.I do OK but not good enough for my taste. FWIW, the
position I'm using it is upside down to the picture in the catalog-the
adjustment nut is on top. I have not learned the art of controlling my
depth consistently from one piece to another or when to stop before
the knurls start being too deep. Can you travel with that tool? Wheels
should be at 12 and 6, right?

On Jul 21, 4:35 pm, Brian Lawson wrote:
Hey Gerry,

What kind of knurl(er) do you have? The "scissors" or "adjustable"
type work very well and easily. For instance= = = =

http://www.kbctools.com/usa/main.cfm

Then pick KBC # and in the space above enter:

1-587X-1000

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 14:13:10 -0700, Gerry wrote:
Have any of you seen a source for pre-knurled brass rod? Thinking 1/2"
or 5/8" in pieces ling enough that I can chuck up in my lathe, drill
the center, thread and part off to make knurled nuts? Or any of you
know a source of knurled nuts with 2BA threads? I'm not so hot at
knurling and was looking for a shortcut to cut my lathe time down