Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Storing Paint?

On Jul 22, 12:55 am, "aemeijers" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

ups.com... What's the best way to store that 1/2 gallon of paint left over after
a project?

I don't think I've ever opened a used can that's a few months old
without finding rust along the inside lip or a film of dry paint on
top. I am very careful about cleaning the lid and the seam where the
lid seals and making sure the can is closed tight - rubber mallet
tight.

This morning I had to strain a 1/2 gallon of Kitchen & Bath paint
because of the rust that fell in when I opened the can.

Huh. Your storage location must be damp, and/or subject to big temp swings.

Storage is my walk-out basement workshop. Temperature swings, yes -
damp, no.

Previous owner left several partial cans, several years old, in furnace room
here, and they were still usable for touchups. I did make it a point to stir
the hell out of them, however. We talking latex or oil? IIRC, latex stores
longer without problems.

Latex

I don't think a rubber mallet is tight enough- I
use whatever hammer or heavy metal object is handy, and a piece of 1x4 to
avoid dinging the metal.

Rubber mallet seals can so that it looks like it came from the store

Maybe you are cleaning the lid TOO well, and it isn't making a seal any more.

With the folded corner of a paper towel? I gotta stop using Brawny!