Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Dressel Kevin Dressel is offline

Default Garage Electrical Install Questions

jJim McLaughlin wrote:

My reasons for using 2x2s rather than 2x4s was to minimize the end
width of the wall between the basement and the garage. Since the
doorway is currently mounted in the 8" foundation wall, adding 2x4s in
a conventional manner would result in a roughly 12" width. Starts
getting excessive in my opinion. If someone was to finish the inside
wall as well (I plan on leaving this part of the basement unfinished),
using 2x4s there as well would make the wall width 16". Starts to
feel like a small hallway!

In the end, cost is not even factoring in the equation (well, may a
little, but definitely not the driver).

By biggest problem with the 2x2s was protecting the romex. But, as I
mentioned in the initial posting, I could run the romed flush against
the masonry wall, and just notch the back side of the 2x2s. This
would put the romex far enough back to meet the edge distance
requirement. But, would that be legal?

Cheers,
Kevin

IMHO, by the time you notch the 2 x 2 to clear the Romex you might as
well
not have any wood.

If you ever want to sheet rock out that wall, the 2" x 2" isn't practical.

I was thinking about this today some more. If I go with the subpanel
idea (and the more I think about it, the more I like it...if for no
other reason than convenience), I may have to go the 2x4 approach
anyway. I'll just have to come up with a way to make the doorway look
less hallway-ish... :-

Thanks,
Kevin