Posted to alt.home.repair
William Underhill William Underhill is offline

Default Horizontal light switch - which way is on?

kjvand wrote:
Last year when we totally remodeled one of our bathrooms, we had an
electrician change the light switch next to the entry door. It
used to be 2 vertical switches, one for the light and one for the
fan. We replaced that switch with a combination gfi outlet and
switch. The new switch has 2 horizontal switches stacked one above
the other, and when he installed it, it was positioned so that the
'on' position is flipped away from the door, and 'off' is flipped
towards the door. This seemed a natural way to have the switch go
on and off.
A short while ago, we had a different electrician do some work, in
which he split one large looped electrical line into 2. During
this process, he removed the bathroom switch, and when he put it back
up, he placed it the other way, so that now the 'on' position is
towards the door, and 'off' is away.

Is there any standard way to install horizontal light switches by the
entry door? I preferred it when it was flipped on by pushing away
from the door. Or, is this like toilet paper - rolling off the
top or off the back is simply a matter of preference?

BTW, when we first bought the house, yet a different electrician put
new slider and flip switches at the entry to each bedroom, and he also
positioned them with 'on' away from the door.

I don't believe code specifies a particular orientation. I think it's as
you suggest, a matter of personal preference. If I read this aright,
though, you now have two switches, one of which has 'on' one way and the
other going the other way. I would at least pick one and flip it so that
both are oriented the same way. If you have an established pattern
elsewhere in the house, as your last para suggests, it would probably be
well to ensure that pattern is followed consistently throughout the house.

I have to confess I've never encountered this one; I tend to prefer
vertically-oriented Decora switches at home, and onboard ship, we use
rotary switches in big brass boxes - gives the youngsters something to
polish for morning cleaning stations :-D

Yours aye,
W. Underhill

--
"Take sides! Always take sides! You may sometimes be wrong - but the man
who refuses to take sides must *always* be wrong! Heaven save us from