Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Frank is offline

Default krazy glue that won't dry out?

z wrote:
On Jul 20, 10:47 am, "peter" wrote:
Most of the krazy glue I bought dry out after one or two use.

Has anyone found a way to prevent krazy glue from drying out?

krazy glue hardens by hydrolysis, i.e. it reacts with water vapor. You
need to keep it in a dry environment. I keep mine in a coffee can in
the fridge, with a bunch of packets of that silica gel drier stuff. I
periodically take it (the silica gel) out and toast it in the toaster
oven for a while to dry it out. I save all the little packs that come
packed in everything including coffee these days, that say "do not
eat" on them, so i have enough to swap dry ones in for the old ones.
fridges and freezers are actually pretty humid, so keeping the glue in
there without the drier isn't the best idea. In fact, i probably
should keep it in a sealed mason jar or tupperware or something,
rather than a coffee can. I go through a lot of the little packs
because i keep garden seeds the same way.

If you can't find the little packages of silica gel, you can use
powdered milk, an old bio lab trick.

Your advice is correct but water causes anionic polymerization:
http://chem.chem.rochester.edu/~chem421/anionic.htm
not hydrolysis. So, keeping dry is most important but also keeping cold
will slow down rate of polymerization.
Frank