Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron(UK) Ron(UK) is offline

Default Transporting speaker cabs face-down

N Cook wrote:
Anyone come across the situation where presumably some crud that was
otherwise safe in the bottom of the voice coil slot is now shifted and
causing distortion.
Owner in the habit of transporting face down - to avoid anything falling
onto the front face.
Any opinions on transporting face-down or cures. ?
Try operating for a while horizontally perhaps but face up or face down.?

There shouldn`t be any crud in the magnetic gap!
However, I did once have an Old Altec Lansing that developed an
intermittent raucous scraping noise that was indeed something twixt
voice coil and pole. The only way I could cure it was to remove the
aluminium dust dome, and after vainly trying to clean it out with
various bits of card, sticky tape etc. I ran the speaker face down with
a low frequency sine wave for some time. Eventually a small chip of
aluminium dropped out.

I would expect a speaker is safest transported on it`s face, as I image
that way there are the least stresses on the basket from the weight of
the magnetic assy.

Other peoples mileage may vary (as they say)

Ron(UK)