Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Dressel Kevin Dressel is offline

Default Garage Electrical Install Questions

jJim McLaughlin wrote:
All your questions are answered in your local codes and the NEC.

Quick personall observation: You are being cheap and not thinking ahead.
You don't have enough circuits.

Romex is cheaper than labor. You don't want to do tis twice, going
back late to add additional circits.

Lumber is cheaper than labor. Don't skimp on 2 x 4s by trying to go
with 2 x 2s.

My reasons for using 2x2s rather than 2x4s was to minimize the end width
of the wall between the basement and the garage. Since the doorway is
currently mounted in the 8" foundation wall, adding 2x4s in a
conventional manner would result in a roughly 12" width. Starts getting
excessive in my opinion. If someone was to finish the inside wall as
well (I plan on leaving this part of the basement unfinished), using
2x4s there as well would make the wall width 16". Starts to feel like a
small hallway!

In the end, cost is not even factoring in the equation (well, may a
little, but definitely not the driver).

By biggest problem with the 2x2s was protecting the romex. But, as I
mentioned in the initial posting, I could run the romed flush against
the masonry wall, and just notch the back side of the 2x2s. This would
put the romex far enough back to meet the edge distance requirement.
But, would that be legal?

Cheers,
Kevin