Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
william kossack william kossack is offline

Default Some problems with my first vase

mac davis wrote:
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 07:14:26 -0600, william kossack
wrote:

mac davis wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 21:19:22 -0600, william kossack
wrote:

I keep a flashlight handy for just that reason.
umm...
To check holes in things before you buy them? roflmao

but I love turning vases with holes in them! For example, I turned a
black wallnut crotch a couple months ago. The top of the vase was at
the crotch. This resulted in some interesting bark inclusions that when
I hollowed broke out leaving bark lined holes in the vase. The outside
of the base has sapwood, bark, and dark heart wood.

You're just gonna have to break down and buy one of those flex LED setups for
your gouges..

I have a laser rig. I love it. I can hollow faster. I know my
thickness and only cut through the wood when I want to.

I spend more time with the shape of my vase and less time worrying about
hollowing.

PS a good compressor works great for removing shavings and dust from the
inside.