Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Wire wheel to remove paint from siding

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
Is it acceptable to remove latex paint from cedar siding with a wire wheel
attachment for a drill?

Yes I am aware there are other methods for doing this, but I'm just
curious about using a wire wheel - something like this
http://www.hobbytool.com/index.asp?P...ROD&ProdID=392

That's not the one I'm thinking of, but gives you an idea of what I'm
talking about.

In my opinion, the best thing to do with siding paint is to use a scraper to
remove only the paint which is already loose. Stripping all the paint off is
usually unnecessary. If you want to, sand the rest and feather the edges a
little with coarse sandpaper. Use a good primer and paint. House paint
generally does not need to be smooth like automobile paint. It is intended
to protect and to look good from a distance. You can put in a lot of labor
for very little in improvement.

Don Young