Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

Default Ceramic tiles over sheetrock for kitchen?

I have lived in three houses where the shower/tub walls were ceramic tile
over "regular" wall board.

It all three homes there were some minor failures at the edges where tile
meets "no tile" but nothing that a little plaster of Paris and some "lath"
couldn't fix.

You kitchen is just no problem compared to a shower/tub. MAYBE after 8
years or so you might find a "softness" at the edge of the tiled area but
you can either fix it or rip out the tile because you are tired of it.

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
We are thinking of installing ceramic tiles on the wall between the
integral backsplash and the underside of the wall cabinets when we redo
our kitchen. The wall is done with regular sheetrock (not greenboard).
Is this a good base for ceramic tiles, or should we rip that section out
and install tile backer board?

Perce