Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Default water powered sump pump

On Jul 20, 4:24 pm, terry wrote:
Someone wrote?

Yes, but a water powered pump is still reliant on an external power
source.

Not clear on that! But not familiar with water powered pumps! What are
they; some sort of venturi jet?
Our municipal water supply, is gravity fed.
The only thing that 'might' fail is the chlorine injection at the main
control station near the lake that supplies the town.
In other words we never lose water pressure? And the main lines are
sized for fire fighting hydrants.
So would it not be true, in our case anyway; a water powered pump
would not be reliant on external power?
Curious.

Was this discussion started elsewhere? Anyway, yeah, the water powered
pump is a venturi system with essentially no moving parts except a
valve for the watermain supply, operated by a float. The point being
that the other discussion involved a backup electric sump pump, which
apparently froze/seized/jammed from lack of use. Which I would imagine
is more likely than the water going out.