Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default HDD 'died' cyclic redundancy error

"clifto" wrote in message
news
Eeyore wrote:
Spurious Response wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Spurious Response wrote:

Jeez! 300GB UDMA drives are $59 now for the high end.#

Made by whom ?

Western Digital, Seagate, Maxtor...

All of which are brands history has noted for premature failure.

There's only one brand of HDD I learned to trust and that was Quantum.

Never tried one after their eighties problems with severe sticktion.
Loved their fix, too; make the motors pull harder to break the heads
loose.

They were alright for the most part, I had a few fail but most lasted pretty
well and were quiet but slow.

These days Seagate is the only consumer grade drive with a decent warranty
so it's all I buy when possible. I've also had good luck with Western
Digital though they put out a few turds several years ago.