Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
w_tom w_tom is offline

Default build yer own ISA computer

I am somewhat confused why a faster processor is necessary. Older
designs did not use interrupts. Much processor time wasted monitoring
an IO port that only had useful information in (maybe) one in 10,000
IO reads. A faster processor may mean more computer cycles wasted
monitoring the same port. A faster processor would mean more computer
instructions wasted making other 'tasks' still appear slow.

IOW I am not convinced you know why a P3 is too slow for monitoring
and controlling mechanical motion. P3 should be more than fast
enough. But an ISA bus is only 6 Mhz.

ISA bus means system goes to idle (a wait state) for an ISA
response. More CPU processing power lost waiting for I/O because an
interface board is ISA.

IOW I am not sure that a faster processor will make your system
faster. Your bottleneck may not be processor speed. Processing
restrictions may be due to various 'missing features' in hardware.

On Jul 17, 11:30 am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
I use Camsoft. There is a Galil card on an ISA slot to run real time motion
control. I've used a P3 for years, its been marginal but I got by. The new
version 16 needs more computer and I'm adding analog pots for feed and
speed. These are continuously monitored and take a lot of computer
resources. And, I run mastercam on the same box. This app. needs WAY more
horsepower than I got. Didn't mention it, but I plan to try a serious AGP
video card to help out.