Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Idiot Walmart Employees in Paint Dept.

"kool" wrote in message +

I think I would take the word of a utility authority such as Union Gas
over ANY hardware store chain regarding gas code regulations, wouldn't
you?

No, I'd take the word of the local inspector. In the town where our factory
is, galvanized is still not allowed. Easier to use black pipe than to try
and argue with him.

I also said that galvanized pipe is prefered over black pipe for
underground installation , and left out the fact that ALL underground pipe
, including galvanized ,MUST be coated and wrapped except approved
plastic.

That is what I questioned. That is why I referenced
6. Galvanized coated pipe is not deemed adequate coating for underground
use.

From your statement it is easy to infer galvanized is all that is needed
underground. We both know that it is not.

I recently installed 130ft. of 1" galvanized sched.40 pipe across a flat
roof on a commercial building and had it approved and passed by local
inspector as I am a Class 1 gas fitter. Are you?

No, I hire one as needed. That is not always a good thing. I certainly hope
you are better than the first one I used.

When I had a boiler installed, the pipefitters were from the next state and
did not have a local gasfitters license. I had to hire a gasfitter. What a
joke. He had the plant shut down for four hours to thread a 4" pipe that
the other guys could have cut and welded in 15 minutes. He had the right
piece of paper to satisfy the inspector though. Fortunately, I've since
found a good one.