Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Kevin is offline

Default Garage Electrical Install Questions

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message

Also, if you go through the cripples, is there a distance away from the

door/window you have to be?

Common sense would dictate far enough away that nails/screws going through
the studs won't hit the wire.

Agreed! I like to think that most things electrical are based on common
sense.

3. Can 3/4"
EMT be used as an adequate protection for the cable for the short runs
(15' or so) in the attic?

Normally romex in EMT is a no-no, except for very short runs (a few feet
or so) used for mechanical protection. Around here cable in the attic
generally doesn't need mechanical protection since it's above 5'.

Since I don't have a copy of the NEC, I don't know specifically what it says
in regards
to romex in conduit, but there sure has been a ton of discussion on the
subject. Problem is
that half of the discussion condradicts the other half. As you mentioned,
the inspector
has the final say, so I will be asking him.

6. In
either case, I'll have a hole going through anywhere from 4 to 8" of
masonry. Can I feed both runs through a single hole, or should I drill
two? Not a big deal, just extra effort.

Don't see why you can't use one hole...just make sure that there are no
sharp edges that could fray the cable.

Excellent point here! I'll make darned sure the hole is both big enough to
accomodate the cable
and softened up around the edges.

These are also the questions you should ask your inspector. Part of the
benefits of a permit is that they're supposed to be available to answer
questions based on the specifics of your local codes.

Chris

As I mentioned earlier, I will be running all of this past the inspector.
However, in my town, there
is only one guy who handles a multitude of tasks (he's the fire chief, head
of zoning, electrical, and a number
of other things) so he's almost always busy and pretty hard to get hold of
(I've tried a couple times already).
Hence my reasons for touching base here first.

Cheers,
Kevin