Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
bz bz is offline

Default HDD 'died' cyclic redundancy error

Eeyore wrote in
:

"Kevin G. Rhoads" wrote:

go to grc.com and buy SpinRite - well worth the money

Strongly seconded.

It's hardly worth $89 to resuscitate an old 20GB drive.

Depends on the data on it.

I am considering getting SpinRite. If it is half as good as they say, it
should be worth it!

Yesterday, I revived one drive and recovered a lot of data using chkdsk/f,
then chkdsk /r, then using r-studio to recover the data.

I was working with two drives that kept freezing my test computer and even
when mounted in an 'external usb' enclosure had problems.

The second drive went down hard, rebooting the windows XP computer I was
trying to access it from and then freezing the computer during boot. I had
recovered some data before it died, but the owner is going to lose a lot.

I tell my users about a guy I knew that had 9 years worth of research notes
in his car (before computers were desktop size). The car caught fire and
burned. No backups of the data. Never finished his research project. A few
years later, he blew his brains out.

Moral of the story: make backups, frequently AND store them in a different
site than where you keep your computer!

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.